Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Influence of language


BLOG POST # 1
9/14/11

I feel that my parents and the community I was raised in had the most influence on my language and dialect. Since birth, this was all I knew and listened to growing up. So this portrayed the way that language was suppose to be spoken in my eyes. It is only until you get older and realize the proper way to speak English for some of us. When you are around slang your whole life, you have to adapt to the new environment of speaking clearly and correct. This is a challenge a lot of us have to face because we are not use to speaking in that manner. Reading the dictionary has helped me improve my speech and I feel that If I grew up in a nicer area I would have already had proper English instilled in me. My biggest influence was my father because he was the male role model I looked up to and my support system while transitioning into manhood. The community around me influenced me heavily because my peers and colleagues are who I grew up with. To the business world we speak funny but in our eyes it was all we knew. So the community and my friends and family had the biggest influence on my dialect growing up.
Jabari harris

2 comments:

  1. Great Blog Like How You Were Detailed & in Depth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you explained it with different scenarios such as if you grew up in a nicer area your language would be different, how so if your mom spoke proper? If its in your home why does the outside have much more influence. I think the reason it sounds funny talking accepted English is because were not used to it and its serious we get nervous when things start getting to stricked and impersonal

    ReplyDelete